Asia Pop Comicon 2017

August 28, 2017

Photo via AsiaPOP Comicon Facebook
   Haiiii! It's been ages since I last posted on here. That's because nothing exciting has happened in my life since I last posted. I guess this ends that stagnant phase. I just basically want to share my personal experience of this year's AsiaPOP Comicon!



   So for those who are not familiar with the event, APCC is an annual comic convention for geeks, nerds, comic book fans, film enthusiasts and basically anyone who's into pop culture. It's currently on its third year; the event debuted in Manila in 2015. I remember attending that one, it was a really fun experience! We got to see the Captain America: Civil War trailer before anyone else in the country! I also got to meet a lot of cosplayers then (including Peggy Carter and Spider-Man).

   Here's the thing though: in 2015 I wasn't much of a 100% geek yet. Now in 2017, I can proudly say I'm an all-around geek, gaga over the holy trio of fandoms - Marvel, Star Wars and DC. Though I'm more a fan of the films than the comics, I still appreciate the fandoms as a whole. So of course, I enjoyed this year more than the previous ones (I didn't go to 2016 because I had work and I was too disappointed with the cancellation of Hayley Atwell lol).

   One of the highlights of this year's APCC was celebrity headliners Ray Fisher (Cyborg from the upcoming Justice League) and Tyler Hoechlin (Derek Hale from Teen Wolf and Superman from the CW's Supergirl). Though I didn't opt for a photo or autograph because I really wasn't a die-hard fan (the passes were at least P3,000 - I'd only spend that much if it were someone like Chris Evans lmao), I saw all my friends have so much fun meeting them! According to them, they were really so nice and both actors were incredibly overwhelmed by the warmth of the Filipino fans. 

   Another one of the highlights was the Netflix booth in which fans can immerse themselves in the settings of Netflix shows like Stranger Things, Marvel's The Defenders, Orange is the New Black and, to an extent (because it's not a Netflix original), the CW's Riverdale. I honestly wanted to line up because the booths were so Instagram-worthy, and I wanted to take photos with the Defenders cutouts, but the line was INSANELY LONG. During the two days that I was there, I never saw the line move nor lessen. So unfortunately, I wasn't able to go. :(

   One main event that I was able to go to though was the Marvel event at Hall M! Honestly, I wasn't really blown away from my seat because most of the content they showed was already announced at last month's San Diego Comic Con. I was really expecting to see the trailer for Avengers: Infinity War, which leaked right after SDCC. I wanted to see it for myself but unfortunately, they didn't let it happen. :( They did show animations and video games though, and the more exciting one were clips from the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok and a hilarious clip of Ant-Man's Paul Rudd and Michael Peña narrating the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe to the newcomer of their cast Michelle Pfeiffer, who is set to play the role of Janet van Dyne in Ant-Man and the Wasp

   However, I really enjoyed going around because I was on the hunt for Funko Pops. I've been collecting since early this year, you see. During my hunt this APCC, I was able to get BB-8 from Star Wars (which I was so happy about, because it was always sold out in regular stores) and Scarlet Witch from The Avengers. I also acquired myself a Ravenclaw pin, my House at Hogwarts! Aside from the merchandise, I had more fun meeting a lot of my friends whom I've all met of Twitter! That was the real highlight of my APCC 2017 experience. The feeling of fangirling alone and having no one to share it with was completely erased. Imagine, I went to the second day alone, and I relied completely on social media to connect with them so I could be able to meet them. It was really such a wonderful experience, and I'm really happy that I have fellow fangirls to share these moments with now. :)

   Here's my favorite snapshots of the entire three-day event (although I only went two days because the first day is usually boring lmao).











   I can't wait for next year's APCC!! Here's to hoping they actually invite one of my favorite celebrities because I'd pay anything to meet them!

♥, Murgaloo

You Might Also Like

0 comments