The Filipino Bunny Parent's Guide to the Bunny Life

September 26, 2017


   Hey everyone! I've been planning to do this for some time already, I just didn't have the time to do so since I started working. I also decided to do this to spread awareness on taking care of a house rabbit. It's not very common to have (I don't want to use the word "own" because I treat my bunnies as my children :P) a rabbit as a pet in the Philippines and people are always amazed every time I tell them Marion is 8 years old or whenever they see Oreo's colored fur. So, once and for all, I'm going to spread information and awareness on bunny-human relationships!



   I started being obsessed with bunnies since I was a little girl. For as long as I can remember, I've already been gaga over bunnies and rabbits. I owned my first bunny, Mr. Bit, at the age of three or four, I think. The rest is history. Everybody calls me the crazy rabbit lady. I guess I need to live up to that title! I lost count of the bunnies that I've had through the years, to be honest. But I got Marion on September 17, 2009 as a birthday present and I got Oreo just last May 23, 2016. They are really the joys of my life. 

   So, like I said earlier, rabbits are not common pets in the Philippines. Now, I've had a bunch of people ask me how it's like to have a rabbit. 
   Most of the information I gathered here I learned from bunny parents all over the world. I follow a lot of them on social media, and they spread awareness on the topic as well. In addition to that, of course these are based on my experiences and as well as information from House Rabbit Society. I hope you will learn something!! Here's some of the FAQs and basic information about bunnies:

Where can I get a bunny?
   In the Philippines, sadly, there are no shelters for rabbits. The only animal shelters here cater to dogs and cats only. :( It's something that really saddens me because rabbits deserve to be adopted and not bought as a commercial product. It's also something I'd like to advocate for in the future. So anyway, you can get a bunny at almost any pet store in the country. However, I suggest going to Cartimar in Pasay City. I got Marion from there but before him I had a bunny from a nearer pet shop and he died a few days later because apparently he was already sick. :( However, I also got Oreo from Cartimar but he was very frail and weak, which is what made me save him. Just make sure if you're getting a bunny, he/she is healthy. Most of the time these pet store owners just want to sell them, so if you have a heart just take the poor bun, provided you will commit to taking care of him/her.

   BUT if you are in another country (or even here in the Philippines, if it is possible), please adopt and don't shop.

Can I get a boy and a girl pair?
   Nope. Here's the thing - we all know how bunnies multiply fast. You don't want to have a rabbit sanctuary now, do you? It's ideal to get a pair of the same gender, but this doesn't mean there won't be any heat involved. The bunnies are surely going to fight over who the alpha is, so you have to be mindful. I had this problem with Marion and Oreo, especially because Marion is 7 years older than Oreo. The age gap is also a huge factor, so it's best to get bunnies of the near age. Bonding bunnies are possible; in other words, there are ways on how they can be friends, and you as their human, play a big role in this process. Read more here. However, if it is your first time to have a rabbit, try getting one first and see if you can handle it.

   Ideally, in other countries, spaying and neutering are highly recommended, if not required for bunnies. Not only does it reduce the fighting, but it also keeps them healthier. But sadly, since, again, bunnies are not common pets in the Philippines, so are rabbit vets. I was lucky enough to find a vet for my buns at Animal House in Jupiter St., Makati ((02) 896 3704)- Dr. Glenn Lee. He's familiar with rabbit anatomy and health, so you can go see him for your bunny's check-up. He's a very good doctor and is very welcoming to the patients. This is highly recommended so you will be aware if your bunny is in good condition.

Can I bathe my bunny?
   A B S O L U T E L Y  N O T. You may see a lot of cute videos of rabbits being given a bath - this is a big NO NO. Rabbits are similar to cats - they are capable of cleaning themselves. They cannot be bathed because they get terrified, and if a rabbit is too terrified they can actually die of heart attack. The water is also not good for their skin because they can also die of hypothermia. Please please please do not bathe your rabbit.

   I've had situations before when Marion could not clean himself and his bum was getting dirty. This was an exception because he was already dirty and needed our help. My mom would heat water and wait until it's warm enough so we could wash up Marion's bum. He's already a senior rabbit, hence he would be needing this kind of attention. But we only washed his bum, and we didn't bathe him. I would carry him while my mom cleaned. This is a special case. Otherwise, bathing a rabbit is a big NO NO.

What can I feed my bunny?
   Normal bunny food is pellets. You can buy this at most pet stores. However, rabbits really need hay and grass as part of their diet. This is very important. I learned this only later on in Marion's middle-aged life. One day I noticed his left eye was tearing up and the fur was coming off. I brought him to Dr. Lee and that's when he told me that his tooth was growing abnormally, blocking the passage of the fluid coming out of his nose. Instead of coming out through the nose, it came out through his tear duct, hence the tears. It was so painful for me to see him like that. Soon after, I brought him to my grandmother's house in the countryside with a huge garden. After a few months, I noticed that the tearing stopped. 

   If you don't have a garden, you can always buy timothy hay or alfalfa hay from pet stores. Your rabbit will love them. Start training them to eat hay as early as possible so they will get used to it.

   Also another misconception that is important to take note of: rabbits don't eat just carrots. I blame Bugs Bunny for this. Nope, they can eat other vegetables and fruits too! BUT they're not all good for your bunny. Some of them are bad for their digestion. For example, cabbage is a big NO NO for the bunnies. It makes their digestive system weak and gives them diarrhea. Caution: bunnies can die of diarrhea. Read more about what a rabbit can and cannot eat here and everything you need to know about their diet here.

How did your bunny last so long?!
   Emphasis on the exclamation point because this is the question I get asked the most. People are always shocked when I tell them that Marion has been with my family for 8 years. Well the answer is simple: proper diet and care, and lots and lots and lots of love and attention. Rabbits are a 10-12+ year commitment. However, I've known so many people who tell me, their rabbit died immediately or their rabbit only lasted them 2 years max, and they can't understand why. Rabbits are not like dogs and cats, who can survive for a longer time without getting your attention. They require 99% of your attention, and I'm not even exaggerating. They cannot be caged all the time. You cannot get a rabbit and expect it to just be in the cage. You got a pet not a figurine. They also need big space to run around. Rabbits need at least 30-40 hours of running time a week in order to be healthy. You must play with them and give them time because they're very social animals. That's why most bunny owners recommend getting a pair so they will have someone to socialize with. However, you can also only have one rabbit and can still create a bond with them. Read here on how to bond with your bunny. 

   You also have to prepare for your bunnies destroying your things at home. Yes, they will chew on your wires and destroy your furniture. If you cannot handle this, do not get a rabbit. However, if you are up to it, there are ways on how to bunny-proof your home. Most of the time bunnies do this when they're bored, hence my point earlier about giving them attention and time to play. Another thing you must prepare for is the mess they're going to make every time they poo or pee. You have to prepare yourself to clean up a lot. But don't worry! Rabbits are very intelligent animals and yes, they can be litter trained. Read more about litter training here and here

   I treat my bunnies as if they were my children. My parents are the same. We love them very much as much as any other ordinary person loves their dog and cat. They are wonderful creatures and they are always overlooked as such. They are more than just "cute"; they are very intelligent and social animals just like your dog and your cat. They also have their own personalities, which is fun to discover as you grow together. To know more about rabbit personalities and behavior, read here and here

   I learned a lot of these things by experience. It's wonderful to have a rabbit. They're pretty much part of my family. There are a lot more information I want to share with you, but these are the basics. I wish some day they would actually open a shelter for bunnies in the Philippines; it's so sad that bunnies are treated as a commodity here, and that awareness in taking care of them is not present at all. I'm hoping that somehow, this would help educate those who already have a bunny or those who are planning to get one.

   While you're here, you guys can also check out Marion and Oreo's Instagram page!




♥, Murgaloo, Marion & Oreo

You Might Also Like

0 comments