Thank you, 2017!

December 31, 2017


   If there was anything I would say about this year, it's that 2017 was one of the most memorable years in recent memory - given that I haven't been having the best years before this one. To put it simply, this year was memorable because it was the the year I had a lot of firsts.




   Since I don't have much time to give this post a lot of thought and detail because we're already preparing for tonight's festivities, I've put together a short list that will more or less highlight and summarize the best moments I've had this year and share them with you.

Hello to new job

   It's not entirely the best thing ever and honestly I'm still working on how to adjust in a new environment such as the corporate world, but nearly four months in, I've learned a few things that will help me later on. It's also a great feeling to have your circle expanded by making new friends and letting them get to know you. Although I still miss my old job and my officemates who turned into really great friends, I have to move on to new spaces. As I've said in my previous posts, I'm still at that point in my career wherein I'm still figuring out everything and everything I want to do with my life. So for now, at a time when having no personal earnings is crucial, I'm happy with where I am.

Photography as my newest hobby and therapy

   Aside from writing, I realized that I wanted to learn photography. That's also partially the reason why I brought myself back to blogging and writing again, because I feel like this is what I really want to do, just write and take photos. Tell stories. Though I haven't had any professional lessons (yet), but I started off this year by getting myself a mirrorless DSLR. It also felt good because I got that out of my own savings (with a little help from my parents lol). Since then I've been self-teaching myself for the past months on the basics and it's been loads of fun. I hope this 2018 I'll finally have time (and money) for those professional classes though! 

A blockbuster year

   If there was anything that really kept me going this year was the numerous films and shows that came out. It started off with Beauty and the Beast, which I really loved because Belle is my favorite Disney princess, plus I loved Emma Watson since Harry Potter. That film was truly magical. After that came Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming, both children of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so, ultimately an immediate favorite of mine. Wonder Woman was a different story for me; I was never into DC at all until this film. I seriously loved the film, the story, the character, everything - that I watched it three times. Following Wonder Woman was a short period of no favorite movies until November came when Thor: Ragnarok came out in theaters. That was truly one of Marvel's best films. I regretted only watching it twice. And lastly, to wrap up my awesome year of movies, Star Wars: The Last Jedi came out and everyone lost their minds. Though divided, the fandom was as wild as ever. It was a thrilling year for movies and I can't wait until next year, especially for Avengers: Infinity War!



First-time traveler

   Earlier I mentioned this year was the year I had a lot of firsts - in traveling. This was the year I finally rode an airplane. This was the year I've finally traveled abroad. I was also able to fly four times this year, which is something for a first-time traveler. I absolutely fell in love with traveling. Every year from now on I'll be looking forward to my travels in the upcoming months, whether domestic or international. Honestly, these trips this year just ignited something in me - it's like the wanderlust in me was sleeping for 23 years and finally woke up. Others may say it's such a petty thing, but you don't understand what it means for me to watch my aunts go back and forth from Australia, Europe and the United States while I was growing up and I just got left at home. Traveling was something deprived from me when I was a child and now that I'm experiencing it for the first time is a truly wonderful and fulfilling feeling.



Trip to Paradise

   My very first plane ride was even made 100x better because my destination then was to paradise itself, El Nido in Palawan. That experience was one of the best experiences of my life. It was so surreal and the place was just so beautiful for words. Nearly one year later, I still find myself at a loss of words on how to describe that trip. It's one of those that I will really treasure forever. At least I can tell my children that the first time I ever rode a plane, I took it to El Nido, not just some place that I can say "Oh, I traveled!" for the sake of it. It may not be an international flight for my first flight but it was one of the best vacations I've ever had.



Adventures abroad

   Hong Kong was also one of the most memorable experiences in my entire life. I still can't believe I've finally made it  abroad! I've made a more detailed post about my experience there but just to reiterate it, wow. It's not the best city in the world, but what meant more to me was the experience of being on your own with no responsibilities and just enjoying every day. Again it ignited the adventurer in me as I traveled and explored a whole new foreign country with my boyfriend. Disneyland alone was truly incredible; one of the best experiences of my life. I never knew how much of these I was missing when I was growing up, and when I was finally able to achieve this, it felt so surreal. I honestly cannot wait for more travels to come this 2018!


   There's so many more moments and people that made this year something else. For example, my family and I moved into a new condo after 26 years in our old condo. I miss my old condo very much because I grew up there, but we all have to move on eventually. I had a difficult time struggling on how to adjust from the old one to the new one because this was my first time to move homes ever. 

   I'd also like to mention the many new friends I met this year - at church, at work, on the internet - you may not know it, but the simple gestures you made to be friends with me really made a difference on me. I miss a lot of my old friends, and some of them I haven't heard from anymore, so it really means so much to me to be able to make new ones. Of course I still won't forget those friends who still stayed after all the crap I've gone through. I salute you guys for putting up with someone as crazy as I am. 

   After having dull years after graduating college, this was the start of a fun and exciting adult life. Of course there were also the bad days - I lost my uncle this year, the first time I've ever lost someone really close to me, I developed PTSD because of earthquakes that occurred in May, among others. Nevertheless, I still try to fight it with the positive things that happened this year. And going into 2018, I promised myself that would be my mantra - keep all the positives and throw all the negatives away. 

   Here's to hoping we all have a safe and blessed new year celebration, and to a prosperous 2018 ahead! Cheers!

♥, Murgaloo

You Might Also Like

0 comments